Governor Brown Signs Know How Campaign’s Foster Care Bill!
WRITER & DIRECTOR @ KNOW HOW
I am happy to announce that California passed a foster care bill that is one of the most meaningful steps in reforming our foster care system in decades. And unbelievably proud to say that our “Know How” campaign, along with a coalition of forward thinking minds, joined forces to make this victory a reality. I am in awe of what we’ve accomplished together and really you are to thank for our big win.
Governor Brown signed AB 403 on Sunday October 11th, a bill that helps every foster youth grow up with a family, and our petition was a contingent piece in getting the bill passed!
In fact our social action, which garnered over 19,000 signatures, was 100% of the public’s voice with 3,054 signatures from California residents alone. This petition was not only delivered to the Governor, but used by our partner organization, Youth Law Center, during legislative sessions to actively advocate for the bill. The bill affects a cohort of over 3,000 foster youth in any given year who live in group homes in California. The Governor’s Budget appropriates $9.6 million to further the goals of this measure by ensuring that social workers can provide core services to families and by helping local governments recruit and retain knowledgeable and well-informed foster families.
As the author of the bill, Assemblymember Mark Stone, eloquently puts, “Children who enter foster care need safe, comfortable, supportive places to stay, whether that is with a relative, a foster family, or a treatment center. Current options for placement, particularly the existing model for group homes, do not always meet these needs. The reforms in this bill will provide youth with the support they need in foster care to return to their families or to find a permanent home if returning to their families is not an option.”
We kicked off our campaign in May, activated around a number of key moments, and never looked back!
- April 7, 2015: Know How campaign site live
- April 29: Published petition with Youth Law Center around AB403 & SMS “FOSTER” to 77177
- May 5: “Know How” campaign kickoff: California State Capitol Screening with Assemblymember Mark Stone & Senator Jim Beall. 70 attendees.
- May 13 – June 16: Recurring Action Email. 20 Sends. 6,251 Action Completions. 345% Action Conversion Rate.
May15: Theatrical Premiere in NY & LA theaters
- May 25-27: #WeKnowHow Twitter Chats
- May 27: TV Premiere on Pivot at
8pmPST. Lower 3rds drive to SMS “FOSTER” to 77177.
May 28: iTunes Release
June 3: VOD/DVD Release
June 11: 5,000 signatures on petition milestone.
June 15: Netflix Release
August 5: Change.org partnership petition published on their site.
August 13: 15,000 signatures on petition milestone
- September 21: Roundtable Policy Discussion & “Know How” Screening with Congressmember Bass. 120 attendees.
September 30: Video & action update of Congressmember Bass and activists advocating for AB403 published. Last push for signatures. 1,494 Action Completions. 208% Action Conversion Rate.
- October 3: Public Broadcast on WPIX 11 New York at
8pm, Saturday Night Special engagement.
- October 5: Delivered Petition 3,054 signatures from California residents & 16,163 from across the nation for a total of 19,217 signatures.
- October 11: Governor signs legislation (AB 403) by Assemblymember Mark Stone. $9.6 Million
appropriationto help over 3,000 foster youth in group homes.
Anecdotal Quote from Jennifer Rodriguez
Executive Director of Youth Law Center
“We are a very small organization who does great advocacy but definitely are challenged about marketing and communication (we have no fundraising or communications staff) and so the exposure you have given our advocacy on this bill has been invaluable. This bill is really transformative.